In the thirteenth century, refugees from the Italian town of Perugia (Umbria), who fled from the plague, settled here. Pictured is the famous 13th century fountain of Perugia, which may have been seen by the first inhabitants of Giethoorn. The new inhabitants found masses of horns from wild goats, which most likely drowned during a flood in 1170. The settlement was eventually named “Geytenhoren”, which translates to “goat horn”. The goat horn can also be found in Giethoorn’s coat of arms, along with a cross, which references the bishop of Utrecht, who then ruled this area.